How to Stay Happy During a Quarantine
Due to coronavirus lockdowns and quarantine, we all are craving human contact in ways that we never experienced before, especially the ones who stay alone.
Do you feel like, even News, Netflix, social media, and endless memes are no longer cutting your loneliness?
Here we share some tips to put your loneliness at a bay and to stay happy. First and foremost do the below mentioned two things.
Most of the people due to busy schedules towards your work, you were not able to spend time with your family and you weren’t able to talk with your relatives. Now you got the chance to do all these things. Most importantly you are able to spend some time with yourself and try to utilize this opportunity. Understand what you want to do. List out all your favorite things that you wanted to and want to do. After some time everything will go back to normal and we get back those busy schedules.
Find Your Strengths
- Love of learning
- Appreciation of Beauty & Excellence
- Social intelligence
Use Your Strengths To Boost Your Happiness
Try to use your selected strength in a new way to boost your happiness.
- If Love of learning or curiosity is one of your strengths, enroll in free online courses or watch videos on a topic you know nothing about.
- If kindness is your strength, do a favor to someone.
- If humor is your strength, create some funny memes, videos, stories or watch some funny movies, etc.
There are endless activities to do, utilize this time to use your strengths at least once per day.
Find Your Weakness
- Poor sleep
Find out Sources of Negativity
What are the top 3 sources of negativity?
It could be people, websites, news, magazines, podcasts, music and so on.
Ask yourself questions that will help you to feel better but also to learn so you can grow and note down the answers.
- What’s one good thing about this situation or quarantine?
- What I can learn from this?
Talk about the situation or your thoughts over with someone close to you whether it may be a friend or family member. Find some solutions or tips from them and get some positive information or conversation flowing into your mind. Start tomorrow in a way that sets a positive tone for your day and replace the negativity with positive vibes in your surroundings. Explain positives about this situation with them, try to help, especially take care of elders and be grateful for a few of the things you may often take for granted.
Sleep Better at Night
One of the reasons behind your unhappiness in modern life is poor sleep. Some researches show that poor sleep can affect you very badly and it can improve your mood more than we often expect. Try to get at least seven hours of sleep for at least four nights of the next week to improve your mood. sleep will make you look or feel better physically and mentally.
No devices or phone before bed and avoid stimulants like caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, and nicotine can keep you awake past your bedtime. Alcohol effect eventually may disrupt your rest later in the night though initially, it may make you feel sleepy. Stay away from stimulants before sleep and make sure you get seven to eight hours of sleep.
7 to 8 hours of sleep will reduce the risk for adverse health conditions, helps to retain memory, boosts the immune system, manages hunger levels, and manages weight loss.
Start Exercising and Stick to It
Research suggests that at least 30 minutes a day of exercise can boost your mood and makes your body healthier. You don’t need a bunch of expensive workout equipment to get good exercise, you can do with equipment as well. Staying physically active is essential to a long, healthy, productive life, reduces stress levels, and your brain function improves instantly.
It promotes good health and sleeps as well. There are many free resources, videos and apps are available on the internet.
Incredible Health & Mental Benefits of Meditation
Research shows that meditation can have several positive benefits, relieves from overall stress including, improves blood circulation, increased concentration, more positive moods, and more feelings of social connection and it’s a practice of turning your attention away from distracting thoughts intentionally. Find a quiet place where you won’t be disturbed while you’re meditating.
If you are new to meditation, there are many sources available to check on the internet.
- Awaken higher levels of your creativity and potential and gives you added energy
- Remove unwanted negative toxins and unnecessary thoughts in your mind
- Practice it daily to become less tense, less stressed, and happier.
- Eliminates fear, anxiety, anger, etc.
- Improve your concentration level
- Improves your blood circulation
- Makes you feel energized and rejuvenated
Tips to Savoring the Good Things in Life
Savoring magnifies and lengthens the positive emotions or feelings that come with doing something you love. It could be a nice shower, learning new things, a delicious meal, gardening, a great walk outside, playing a game, or any experience that you enjoy.
Practice some common techniques that enhance savoring.
- Share your experience or good feelings with other people
- Think about how lucky you are to enjoy such a wonderful moment
- Count your blessings and give thanks to them.
- Avoiding negative thinking and replace it with positive thinking
- Get absorbed at the moment and try to turn off your conscious or rational thoughts.
- Compare your outcome or good experiences with something worse and it makes our present situation seem better.
- Sharpen your sensory perceptions or use them more consciously
- Congratulate yourself and take credit for your hard work
- Take a souvenir or mental photograph of that activity
Make A Social Connection
Studies or researches show that the simple act of talking to a stranger on the street can boost our mood more than we expect. If you are missing your colleagues, friends, girlfriends, or other family members try to utilize social media networks. You can do instant messages, emails, and video calls. Try to find out new varieties of communications. Be innovative and share it with your friends.
There is n number of channels available on the internet like slack, zoom, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Instagram, Snapchat, Telegram, Skype, Pinterest, Quora,…etc.
Random Acts of Kindness
Perform acts of kindness beyond what you normally do and it should be something that helps or impacts another person.
For example, help your family members, help your colleague with something, give a few dollars or some time to a cause you believe in, say something kind to a stranger, donate some money for the poor people, write a thank you note or gratitude message, give blood, etc.
Write a Gratitude Letter/Message to Someone You Care About
Think of a person who has made a big difference or changes in your life, but whom you never properly thanked.
Write a heartfelt message/letter of gratitude to that person explaining how he or she has touched your life and why he or she is meaningful to you. It is one of the most powerful tools for increasing your and other’s happiness because it can establish social bonds and change someone’s life.
Self-isolation or Quarantine Opportunities
- To spend quality time with family
- To explore new learnings and creativities
- To find new ways of communication with loved ones (slack, telegram, zoom, google meet, etc.)
- To have time to explore and develop my creative sides
- To have time to focus on personal well-being (Yoga, Exercise, meditation, introspection, reflection, etc)
- To show gratitude towards your loved ones
- To find out how blessed you are.
- To experiment or learn new varieties of food
- To have time to write about your experience or books
If all the information everywhere, you see sickness, desperation, deaths, and economic crisis in all media, conversations, ads, social media making you anxious then try to stop watching those and find out other ways which make you happy.